Monday, April 20, 2009

Skype on the iphone

Every now and then I've been checking back in the appstore, eagerly hoping that skype will turn up. I'd already tried using an app called Fring, which was capable of connecting a skype call so both sides could hear each other, but when it came to actually holding a conversation the quality wasn't up to it.

This time I checked the appstore and there it was, Skype, the real mc'coy. The reason this is so important of course is that on my Compaq Presario CQ20 laptop running Ubuntu the soundcard locks up after exactly 15 minutes of talking on skype, requiring me to reboot the whole computer and I haven't been able to figure out why (suggestions are welcome though).

So far it looks promising that having skype on my iphone will make work a bit more productive. Together with the SIP client I've already installed called Siphon I should have all types of calls covered. Strangely, as my home is out in the country, out of GSM range for this old 1st generation iphone, it feels like quite an achievement to make a phone call from my phone.

Update:
It worked! I had a clear 20 minute call with a colleague in Vancouver so skype on the iphone gets a thumbs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment