Saturday, April 25, 2009

Sound in Ubuntu on Compaq Presario CQ20 116TU

On my CQ20 116TU I've been struggling with the sound since I upgraded to Ubuntu 8.10. Headphones worked ok but the laptop speakers didn't produce anything. I hoped that upgrading to Jaunty might fix my problems ...... it didn't. But it did prompt me to have yet another google around to find a solution.

So a big thank you to those on this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-940689.html where I found my answer.

So, I simply added the following three lines to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf


options snd-hda-intel model=3stack-dig
options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=1
options snd-hda-intel single_cmd=1


Note: This solution will probably work on versions before Jaunty, in which case the file to edit won't have the .conf extension.

One thing that is still a bit odd is that when I plug headphones in it doesn't mute the laptop speakers. But I easily get around that by pressing the laptop's mute button, which mutes the laptop speakers but not the headphones.

Update:

Excited to finally be able to listen to music I opened amarok and got no sound, but that was a Jaunty issue solved here: http://chanweiyee.blogspot.com/2009/04/ubuntu-904-amarok-2-sound-problem.html

No comments:

Post a Comment