Tuesday, April 21, 2009

wurfl.xml has moved

I've got a java web application that uses the wurfl tag library. Wurfl is awesome by the way, it means you don't have to write your application a thousand times for all the different mobile devices on the market now.

So the app broke recently and I found the cause to be that the wurlf.xml file couldn't be found. This file contains all the profiles of all the mobile devices on the planet and it needs to be updated every now and then when new devices are released. I just used a cron job to periodically download the wurfl.xml file.

The reason things broke was because the old url pointing to the latest wurfl.xml file didn't work, sourceforge had made the wurfl guys use a different distribution method.

Luckily, this was easy to fix. I found the new path (even had a nearby mirror this time) and updated the script on the cron. I had to add a little bit extra to the script because the new distribution method used a zip format, so my script now had to unarchive the file after download it.

Sure enough, after I'd figured all this out the mobile app was back up and running.

No comments:

Post a Comment